Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Series wrap up: Nick and Tesla

This is an excellent middle grade book for young scientists. Nick and Tesla have the same precociousness as Claus and Violet from the Unfortunate Events series, and I especially like the safety warnings not only in the beginning of the book, but in each experiment instruction and the story as well. The story itself was fun and ended on a great cliffhanger. My sister and I definitely would have loved this at the middle grade level, and I fully intend on getting a copy and giving it to my daughter when she's older.

Buy on Amazon



This second book I read of the series was just as good as the last. Growing up, my sisters and I were fortunate enough to each have our own bookshelf. Mine had many series of books, each taking up maybe half a shelf. I would love to see this series take up space on my daughter's shelf.
Before finding this series, I had begun to worry that educational mysteries for middle grade readers had gone extinct. This series has revived old feelings of learning from books like the time warp trio and the magic tree house, with the added elation that a girl is one of the main characters.
I have to admit, robotics go a little over my head. But that only added to the book as I was able to learn something new, too.
 

Buy on Amazon

The third book in this series starts off with a slight nod to the first two, giving only the most important information and moving on to the story at hand. I like this because we all know how kids are--if they like spies more than robots, they'll read the series out of order. Making each book work well as a standalone is smart.

While the experiments were fun as always, the e-arc I received didn't quite translate the formatting. This isn't an issue though, as I plan to get physical copies.


Buy on Amazon


In this book, we focus on one big invention rather than a bunch of little ones. Since it all takes place in a day (Nick and Tesla need to find out who is sabotaging an exhibit before the opening ceremony) I got to thinking that this would make a pretty good television series too, for visual learners who work better with video than pictures. 

Nick and Tesla are lovable characters, and I liked what a big part their friends Silas and DeMarco played.


Buy on Amazon


Science Bob takes a short break from robotics to appeal to young directors and producers in his latest book in the Nick and Tesla series. Things like homemade steady cams and extended arm grabbers are things that are not just valuable to middle grade producers, but would have also been a great help to me in my high school theater days. 
In this book we're still wondering where Nick and Tesla's parents are, and if they're okay. What I love about this series is that the experiments make it educational, but the story keeps you waiting for the next book to come out. I received an e-arc of this book from the publishers, so any formatting issues I know will be fixed in the finished version. Definitely a series I would buy for my daughter as well as my friend's kids

Buy on Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment