Saturday, September 5, 2015

Review: Big Nate (Welcome to my World)

Welcome to day 5 of Children's week!

Aspiring cartoonist Nate Wright is eleven years old, four-and-a-half feet tall, and the all-time record holder for detentions in school history. He's a self-described genius and sixth-grade Renaissance Man who lives with his dad and older sister and enjoys pestering his family and teachers with his sarcasm.








My Review:

I got this book through NetGalley for an Honest review

Hi, my name is Kristina and this is my first Big Nate book. (hiiii, Kristina)

I really liked this collection of comics. Back in late elementary/middle school comics were a big percentage of the books I read. This collection certainly took me back there. It was an easy read that was entertaining and helped me unwind after a day of work. 

I can see how some people would find the trope of a male protagonist who rebels against school a bit redundant, but I enjoyed this partly because it reminded me of those comics I read back in the day. Would I have liked it as much if Nate was a girl? I don't know. 

Moment of truth: Would I pick this up in a library and read it? Yes. Would I buy this book in a bookstore? I probably would. If not for myself or a friend, then as a donation to a library.

No comments:

Post a Comment