Saturday, September 26, 2015

Misadventures of a Playground Mother

New term. New dramas. New friendships. And that’s just the parents…
After a year of country living, Rachel Young is finally getting into the swing of things. Her four kids are happy and content at the village school, and she’s managed to navigate the choppy (shark-infested) waters of the playground mafia. 
Or… so she thought. 
When playground mum Penelope Kensington moves herself and her kids into Rachel’s home, after discovering husband Rupert has been having an affair, Rachel knows she must ask them politely to leave. The problem is, Penelope never takes no for an answer. 
As Rachel tries to deal with Penelope, she also meets new school mum Melanie. Melanie is a breath of fresh air, but her arrival sends ripples of gossip through the playground. Melanie has a few secrets in her closet, and it seems she’s not the only one… 
Hilarious and entertaining, with characters you won't forget in a hurry, fans of Fiona Gibson, Kerry Fisher and Tracy Bloom will love this book.

Buy on Amazon

My Review:
Misadventures of a playground mother gives "mommy wars" a whole new meaning. The author perfectly describes the world of girl speak and frenemies, a thing I had to explain to my husband doesn't necessarily stop in high school. The cast of characters introduced in this book are varied and imaginative--and certainly humorous. I'd love to see this hilarious story on screen(preferably starring Catherine Tate), but if that doesn't happen soon I'll definitely still read it on Red Nose day.

I couldn't believe this was the second installment in a series. It works so amazingly well as a standalone and made me want to go back and read the first one.

As funny as the characters were, I had drawn so close to rachel and had so many feelings about this book--I shared her joy and anger and worry and if that wasn't enough for the mark of an amazing author, the ending left me wanting more. I simply cannot wait to see if there will be a third installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment