Sunday, September 20, 2015

Review: how to draw everything

A playful book by renowned illustrator and artist Gillian Johnson, How to Draw Everything encourages readers to overcome their fear of the blank page and inspire their inner artist. The book is not about drawing realistically; it's about taking your line for a walk and seeing where you end up!

Inside are exercises and easy projects prompting you to draw literally everything around you--from mugs and bugs to cars and stars. A wide variety of drawing projects will teach you how to drop your artistic inhibitions and sketch what you see using step-by-step techniques. Delightful full-color illustrations accompany each lesson to ensure your drawing journey is both educational and filled with plenty of whimsical fun


Buy on Amazon




My Review:

I got this book for free through the Goodreads Firstreads giveaways program.

This book is fun. It takes well to pen. It's a little big and won't fit in my purse, but considering your average sketchbook size, isn't that big a deal.

I'd definitely give this book to an aspiring art student, or a kid who wants to raw, or anyone just to have something to do. This book is not a become-da vinci-instantly book. This is a book that, essentially, teaches you techniques and exercises and practices that will help you draw anything (or everything). 

Did I walk away with a new passion for drawing? No. But, had I received this book in middle or early high school when I was interested in art, I'd probably be really into it.

Overall: A great gift, not necessarily for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment