Thursday, August 6, 2015

Thursday Thoughts #2: Orwell vs. Huxley


As it turns out, I have a lot of thoughts so I'm going to turn this into an interactive weekly linky thing. Not sure if I would classify it as a meme right now only because so far I'm the only one doing it. So, here we go. If you have thoughts on this week's subject, make a post and add it to the linky at the bottom of the post.

This week's Subject: Orwell Vs. Huxley

I'm sure you all know this already but Orwell and Huxley had very different views as to exactly how our freedoms would be taken away. Orwell had a pretty grim outlook on things, as he summed up in one sentence from 1984: “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever.” So basically no fun, no smiles, just mean people holding you down with fear and loathing



Huxley had a different opinion in Brave New World : “...most men and women will grow up to love their servitude and will never dream of revolution.”  So basically...

When I first thought about these parallels, I thought Orwell was out of his mind. I saw Facebook and Youtube and the Kardashians and thought "we are way too distracted to be angry." Then I married a conspiracy theorist. Then I saw the smaller media outlets that "the government" doesn't want you to hear from. I started noticing the overwhelming amount of cameras and the surprising lack of police accountability. 

So I had to ask myself again. Who was right? These days I'm leaning towards Orwell. But the only reason we haven't revolted is because we're led to believe it was Huxley. 









No comments:

Post a Comment