Friday, August 21, 2015

Book Review: Diner Knockout

Rose Strickland's life is complicated. Besides her waitressing gig, she works part-time for Andre Thomas, a PI with no faith in Rose's ability to investigate, her love life with Sullivan has stalled, and her BFF, Roxy, has found a new bestie, leaving Rose out in the cold.

Determined to prove herself, Rose takes a case on the sly. As she searches for a missing MMA fighter, Rose discovers an illegal fight club, a group of ruthless businessmen, dead bodies, and a trail of drugs.

Hunting down clues that lead too close to home, Rose finds herself in the fight of her life. Can she beat the killer to the punch before she gets knocked out for good?
Buy on Amazon




My Review:


 As a part of a series, this book stood surprisingly well as a standalone. There were a few passing references to what I'm sure are the first three books, but there was no confusion or information missing keeping me from enjoying this read.
The book started losing me a little when Rose's friends were introduced. I'm sure there are girls out there cosplaying Lolita on a daily basis. But I'm also sure they're under eighteen and not wearing their expensive cosplays to a full shift at a diner.
Rose herself comes off as a somewhat privileged young woman who's watched wa-ay too many NCIS shows. As annoying as you THINK that would be, I found it refreshing. I'm tired of the "strong independent woman" trope where the woman in question has very minor, if any flaws. Having such a large, life affecting trait that puts you and your loved ones in danger is kind of nice.
Speaking more on Rose, I like her. We have a lot in common. My family wasn't really rich, but they were comfortable. But I yearned for independence and moved out into a small apartment to prove I could 'make it' on my own. Now, would I pretend to be an official detective and take on a large, potentially dangerous missing persons case on my own? No. Most definitely not. But I found myself living vicariously through Rose.

Final word: Is this a good book? Yes. Would I read it in the library? I probably would have when I was younger and into mysteries. Would I pay money for this book? No. But I'm honored that NetGalley allowed me the opportunity to review it for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment