Friday, August 14, 2015

Series wrap up: The Blind Scorpion by Farsheed Ferdowsi and Mike Wells

The BLIND SCORPION is a Top Secret computer program for simulating nuclear weapons explosions and the catastrophic havoc they wreak. The most advanced technology of its kind, the BLIND SCORPION requires such intense number crunching capability that it runs on a dedicated mind-numbing 1,400 teraflop IBM Blue Gene supercomputer burrowed underground at the National Energy Research Computing Center in Oakland, California.
Dr. Ross Shaheen, the developer of the software, is living the American dream. Between his internationally-recognized nuclear weapons research career at the prestigious Berkeley Lab and his picture-perfect family in the San Francisco suburbs, it's a good life that can only get better...until he is lured into lecturing before an elite group of scientists in the country of his birth: Iran.
The seven thousand mile trip takes Shaheen back to the land of the lion and the sun, yet it also delivers to Iran's very doorstep an important American citizen with Top Secret security clearance. It soon becomes clear what the Iranians are really after: the BLIND SCORPION. The coveted software is the key to advancing their clandestine nuclear weapons program without the rest of the world being able to prove its existence. Shaheen becomes entangled in a twisted web of espionage, corruption and survival, putting to the test not only his secret knowledge but also the very core of his allegiance to the land he now calls home.


My Review:

I posted a review earlier after reading book one. After further reasearch, I found the original "Mushroom in the Sand" was all just one book, which made more sense to me. I had hopes that the last two parts of the trilogy would be miles better than the first. And they were...somewhat. I still liked the characters, it was a decent plot, frequent shoutouts to conspiracy theorists were entertaining.

But was it "unputdownable"? No. Don't get me wrong. Reading this wasn't boring in the least. But I wasn't sucked into the world. I didn't at any point forget I was reading a book. I kept thinking about the other books I had that I wanted to read more than this one. I was hoping to get a solid four stars for this series, but my rating remains at a 3/5. Nice, but not great.

No comments:

Post a Comment