Sunday, August 23, 2015

Book Review: War of Rain by H.W Vivian

Fifteen year-old Miri lives in a desert village called Boreala, which competes with the city of Stratos for Rain – the equivalent of Holy Water. During a confrontation while gathering Rain, Miri accidentally kills a citizen of Stratos, and unintentionally starts a heinous war. Now it is up to her to find the God of Rain, Kalono, and ask Him for an invention that can bring both peace and war before Boreala is destroyed. 







H. W. Vivian is the author of the YA fictions, Chasers and War of Rain, as well as the adult humor fiction, Days of Amber, and the mystery/thriller fiction, Monarchs, written under her second pseudonym, Alex Chu.

Buy the book: Amazon   Barnes and Noble  Lulu


Meet the Author: Website  Facebook  Twitter







My Review:

I got this book from the author, who asked me for an honest review and was gracious enough to send a physical copy when I said my schedule for ebooks is completely filled. I was drawn in to the story immediately. We meet Miri and her family and the people closest to her on their way to get the mysterious Rain. All of a sudden Barbarians come, and Miri is faced with choice: lose one of her loved ones or kill the barbarian? She makes her choice, having no idea the consequences it would have. The rest of part one of the book is filled with so much action and character development that it makes War of Rain the kind of book you'll pull out any time, anywhere, just to find out what happens next. In part two Miri is found with another hard choice. On her mission to find an invention that will make both war and peace, she has to decide if she will go back home to share it, or stay in the safety of the mountain she travels to. I also have to add that I usually find myself about 20 pages shy of the ending of a book, and I'm ready to review it. But with Miri, I was hooked and had to read every last word. Vivian even adds discussion questions at the end for teachers and students--which is great, considering the concepts of education, ancestry, religion and morality that pop up, begging to be discussed. It's a fine addition to my bookshelf.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment