Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Book Review: They're Not Like Us #1

Eisner-nominated NOWHERE MEN writer ERIC STEPHENSON teams up with red-hot artist SIMON GANE for an all-new ongoing series! We all have advantages over one another, but what if you were capable of things most of us can only imagine? What would you do – and who would you be? A doctor? An athlete? A soldier? A hero? Everyone has to make a choice about how to use the abilities they're born with... but they're not like us.












My Review:

Honestly, I requested this from Net Galley for the cover. I didn't read the description at all. I know you're not meant to judge by a cover, but let's be honest--a lot of us do. Were I at the library, I'd do the same thing. I'd pick it up from the graphic novel section solely based on the title and cover and read it, because that's how you branch out and find new things.

Now that that's out of the way, the first few pages really drew me in. I finished this book in two sittings, taking time to actually get some sleep in between since I started it shortly past midnight. There was a lot of action in the beginning--starting with a suicide attempt and suddenly entering a breakout straight out of Mission Impossible, then transitioned into something comparable to X-Men.

So I thought, "Oh, here we go. A bunch of young men and women with super powers and a middle aged man who's going to save them and help control their powers." Not so. They're Not Like Us took a different turn, revealing that these aren't superheroes. These are jaded and cynical young people out for blood. And I loved it. After all, would I be a hero if I had powers? I'll be honest and say 'probably not'.

I really liked the art in this book too--it was diverse and interesting. Not everything has to be drawn like a manga.

Ultimately here's where I'm at. If I was in the library, I'd read this start to finish and look for the next one in the series. But would I buy it in a bookstore with my own money? Probably not. I'd still recommend this to graphic novel book clubs because of the questions about morality and free will--there's a lot to talk about. But if you're on the more conservative side and don't do well with fight scenes or occasional nudity, skip this book.

My rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment