Saturday, August 22, 2015

Review: Sins of her Father by Kathleen Mix

Faith Rochambeau is horrified to learn she was conceived during a rape. She’s determined to make her biological father, Victor Telemann, pay for his crimes. Using her computer skills to dig into his life, she searches for the powerful man’s Achilles Heel and a way to extract retribution. She’ll do whatever it takes to get a conviction, even it if means infiltrating his Fortune 500 company.

She fails to plan on falling in love with her father’s smooth-talking stepson, Kent Telemann, who suspects she is a corporate spy. Faith is drawn to Kent, even though she’s not sure she can trust him. If her heart is wrong, he can put her life in danger.

Meanwhile, her father is playing a lethal game he’s determined to win.
Buy on Amazon



My Review:

I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.

Where to start? Those who follow my reviews know I don't normally do romances, primarily because I feel they lack plots. But between the amazing cover and enticing blurb, I requested this book for early review. I had so much to say about this book, I'm going to break it down into segments so I don't forget anything.

The First Pages: The book starts with Faith dealing with her mother's death, and consequently finding out about her origins after finding her mother's diary. The beginning is very emotionally charged, and I can see ow some would find Faith's next actions far-fetched. But as a survivor of rape, I understood the drive for justice and found myself rooting for Faith on her mission to avenge her mother.

The Writing Style: Mix's writing style drew me in and kept me reading far into the night. I was worried about her name choice for Victor, hoping it didn't necessarily mean he would actually be the victor. Mix is also kind with her depictions of the rape itself. She puts enough detail to show that it was violent, but not so much as to trigger flashbacks for survivors.

Faith as a Character: We meet Faith as a really smart wallflower, who's upbringing made her insecure and starved for love. She's obviously very emotionally driven despite her intellect. I found her character fun to read, enjoyed watching her develop more of a backbone, and kept reading to find out if she would get closure from her mother's injustices.

Kent as a Character: We meet Kent when he's your typical cocky rich bachelor, partying often and the second majority share holder of a company not by work, but by being born. But his development was actually faster than Faith's, as we see his arrogance give way to insecurities of his own as he starts falling for Faith.

The Romance: While not quite Insta-love, it felt forced. Particularly the first kiss. There had just been nothing showing that Faith was at that particular emotional point. Kent's emotional status didn't matter too much because at this point we know that he's faking the whole thing. After that one kiss though, all the other scenes were far more believeable.


"So what should I do, Kristina?" If you like romances and lifetime movies, buy it for your shelves at home. If you like the action and espionage part of the story but don't like romance, buy a kindle version. If you just want to try reading something new and unique, read it at the library first.

No comments:

Post a Comment