Thursday, February 25, 2016

Thursday thoughts: How to recover from a book hangover

Welcome to Thursday Thoughts, a thing I'm going to aim to do weekly. Currently looking for a cohost who can handle the linky side of things and make this an official meme!

This week: How to recover from a book hangover

Every reader has felt it, and I think professional reviewers the most: The reading slump. Also known as Book Burnout or Book hangover, You've just read a book and it was really good, but you really don't want to start the next one yet. Or today. Probably not tomorrow. Or even next week. Good lord, will you ever read again!?

There are two kinds of this condition:

1. That book was so amazing I can't get myself out of that world. Reading something else would feel wrong. I'll just wait until the next installment comes out in 2055.
That's a long time to go without reading. But if you're stuck in that world, you're stuck. Suggested prescription: Fanfiction. Read it, write it, get it out of your system. But more importantly: Know fanfiction will be there for you, to pull you back into that fictional world even if you read another book.

2. I just CAN'T read another word. I just don't feel like reading anymore!
Remember when you were younger and said "there's no such thing as too much reading"? Well, this is the result of that. Put the books down and walk away slowly. Spend the day watching stupid videos on youtube. Or go outside. Take a book break and then read some blogs or go on booktube to get excited about books again

Next week: Beautiful Covers and Illustrator spotlight

1 comment:

  1. clever meme! Yeah I can totally understand the reading slump, I can definitely get them from time to time. Blogging slump also seems to hit me from time to time ;)


    Florentine @ Readiculously Peachy


    ReplyDelete