Thursday, February 11, 2016

Thursday Thoughts: Finding your book genre

Welcome to Thursday Thoughts, a thing I'm going to aim to do weekly. Currently looking for a cohost who can handle the linky side of things and make this an official meme!

This week: Finding your book genre

Growing up was kind of ridiculous for me because it's like I went through literary puberty. I no longer knew what aisle to go to when I got to the library. Did I want to read a nonfiction book? psychology? Judy Moody? YA fantasy? 

I was a mess. I didn't know what I wanted, or if I would still want it tomorrow. I really liked the books I got, but the confusion and decisions I had to make when I got to the library just frustrated me. 

These days I have a better idea of what I do or do not like, which publishers are my favorite, and what library sections to avoid, if not which ones I want to flock to. The introduction of the New Adult genre actually helped quite a bit with all that. New Adult books are great to float back to if you're going through Literary puberty and get overwhelmed.

So, some tips maybe?
1. Set DNF limits
This will save you SO much time. 50, 15, 5 pages in and you're not interested? put it down. Decide how patient you're going to be with a book that's not working for you.

2. take advantage of free books
Libraries, kindle sales, giveaways. If you're a blogger, Netgalley. This way you can discover things you do like without it hurting your wallet.

3. Work out your Do Not Read list, but know why.
I don't like Romance. I don't go to that section. But the reason I don't like Romance is because I feel it has no plot and the love scenes are too cheesy or occur too often. Obviously there are some good ones out there. If I had judged Diamonds in the Rough by its genre instead of its blurb, I never would have discovered the wonder that is Elisa Marie Hopkins.

Next week: Series that are better than 50 Shades

No comments:

Post a Comment