Friday, November 20, 2015

Book Review: A Cure for suicide

A man and a woman have moved into a small house in a small village. The woman is an “examiner,” the man, her “claimant.” The examiner is both doctor and guide, charged with teaching the claimant a series of simple functions: this is a chair, this is a fork, this is how you meet people. She makes notes in her journal about his progress: he is showing improvement, yet his dreams are troubling. One day, the examiner brings him to a party, and here he meets Hilda, a charismatic but volatile woman whose surprising assertions throw everything the claimant has learned into question. What is this village? Why is he here? And who is Hilda? A fascinating novel of love, illness, despair, and betrayal, A Cure for Suicideis the most captivating novel yet from one of our most exciting young writers.

Buy on Amazon





My Review:

I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Reviews are encouraged as long as they're honest, but never required.

Well, at least I didn't spend money on it.

I didn't like this book at all. AT. ALL. I mean, I'm the last to scream about "you're telling, not showing!" because I can usually find something great about the writing style. This book is literally all telling, no showing. It's all dialogue. In 35 pages I counted about 3 paragraphs worth of actual prose. I read books, not screenplays.

It would be something if the dialogue was interesting, or showed us something about the characters. Nope. Boring, boring, boring. DNF.

1 comment:

  1. Nice review I must admit when I first read the title of this book, I know it was not a book for me. But I was really intrigued about your review. And now I know the book is definitely not for me I probably would of dnf it as well. Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete