Saturday, December 26, 2015

book review: The sea is wide; a Memoir of caregiving

When Rundy Purdy was twenty-four he began caring for his grandfather who was sick with Alzheimer's. This started a three year battle against inevitable decline, a journey across confused days and long nights. With compassion, hope, and a strong dose of gritty realism, The Sea is Wide: A Memoir of Caregiving tells the story of how a grandfather and his grandson crossed the wide sea of Alzheimer's. It is a tale of losses, but even more of things found in spite of what is lost. It is about giving bedtime stories, hugs, and a lot of coffee. It is a story of laughter even in the presence of sadness. The sea of Alzheimer's is wide, but it can be crossed. In writing that is by turns uplifting and poignant, Rundy shares his journey of perseverance and love.

Buy on Amazon





My Review:

I got this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.

So, I don't know anyone who has lost their mind yet. I myself am scared of getting old. According to this book, for good reason. I'm sure to an older crowd this is a lovely memoir of a son caring for his father. To me it's a reminder of why I'm glad I'm not an only child nor my parent's favorite, and validated my already existing fear of age.

Maybe it's my generation's mindset. Maybe it's me. But this was certainly a good book for halloween--I can't imagine ever having to do what Purdy did.

No comments:

Post a Comment