Monday, October 3, 2016

NetGalley Review: Oh Joy, Sex toy v.3






Erika & Matthew think the world of sex is pretty rad. Using humor and research, their awesome comics are about everything that relates to sex. They review sex toys, share sex education, interview sex workers, and crack horrible, horrible puns, all in the name of promoting sex positivity.









My Review: 

With a book like this, you can't exactly complain about the NSFW aspect. I do actually appreciate all the different body types depicted in this book, as well as the genuine sex ed parts of the book. But for most of the time, every time I went into a new chapter I kept thinking "oh my god, ANOTHER review??" The reviews actually wouldn't have been so terrible if they were more spaced apart, so in a different universe I hope the book is ordered differently so some of the comics at the very end (which dealt with very real feelings such as body insecurity, as well as funny things like sex with a fantasy made of ice cream) make it more towards the front of the book and break up the advertising--I mean reviews. (even though it feels like advertising, being a published book and all). On the plus side, this book does well as a standalone, despite being the third in a series--this is my first encounter with the authors ever. Which, you know, may not have worked in their favor as I didn't appreciate being called a pervert every other page. I got this book mostly because the description states "[they]...share sex education, interview sex workers, and crack horrible, horrible puns, all in the name of promoting sex positivity." I'm not sure sex positivity or wanting to read sex ed and bad puns makes me a pervert. If it's a groupie nickname, I think a less accusatory one like 'sex fiends' or something would have sufficed. 
All in all, there were some good aspects, but not enough to make me want to actually buy this book or recommend it to a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment