Sunday, March 6, 2016

Book Review: The Christmas Box

"Whatever the reason, I find that with each passing Christmas the story of the Christmas Box is told less and needed more. So I record it now for all future generations to accept or dismiss as seems them good. As for me, I believe. And it is, after all, my story." So begins "The Christmas Box", the touching story of a widow and the young family who moves in with her. Together they discover the first gift of Christmas and learn what Christmas is really all about. "The Christmas Box" is a Christmas story unlike any other.





My Review:


So I actually did read this book around Christmas time, but with so many reviews that have deadlines on my list it took me this long to actually share it. I originally got this book in a book outlet sale, for about a dollar. What I love about the book itself is the quality of the cover and the pages. I don't know about you all, but I adore reading in the bath. I'll read a couple of chapters, then when the bubbles go down I start with my actual bathing process.
The pages of this book held up ti water really well. I don't know how they would stand to a beverage actually spilling on them, but turning the pages with wet fingers didn't do anything at all to them. No drops, no water marks, nada. I loved it.
As for the story itself, it is one of the best Christmas time books to read. I don't know how realistic the beginning is, you know with a rich old lady offering free room and board in exchange for meals, but... it worked. Christmas blessing and all that. The overall story had a really cozy feel to it, and really helped to maintain the Christmas spirit in me that starts in September and sometimes burns out literally the day before Christmas. I seem to be more in love with the Idea of Christmas cheer than the day itself. I'm all over getting presents for anyone I've ever met, but the act of receiving leaves something to be desired.


But if you're looking for a short Christmas read to read somewhere cozy, definitely get this book. And check out book outlet and thriftbooks, because honestly the prices are phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment