Saturday, November 12, 2016

ebook review: Raising a child who Prays

In a society that is quickly abandoning its biblical standards, parents can create an effortless culture in their home that lends itself to the spiritual development of their child.

David Ireland, known for his dynamic teachings on prayer, provides a framework that helps parents elevate their prayer life, then parents can pass along the secrets to their little ones so they too may become spiritual giants over time. Parents will be equipped with practical exercises, sample prayers, and developmentally appropriate mentoring plans that will encourage their children to pray effectively now and into adulthood.






My Review:

I'll be honest. I want a child who prays, but I don't even really, truly know how to pray myself. So I got this book for some pointers, fully expecting to be told "welp, nothing doing if you don't have a solid relationship with the big man yourself."

Don't get me wrong, that's essentially what the first chapter says. But what struck me was that it didn't say "you have to be the end-all be-all perfect prayer-er." It said, instead, "practice. Take a tiny bit of time out of your day to say a prayer. Just start, and make sure you are doing it because you want Christ" Which essentially is what my husband told me when we first started discussing my conversion.


Ireland breaks it down into three steps: Purpose, Pattern, and Power. I love that the steps for leading your child to pray are the same steps for teaching yourself, and that example prayers are included for people (it can't be just me) who have no idea where to even start praying.

The effective teaching principles and engaging stories from the bible and more modern times kept me interested and reading on to the next chapter. I now have a framework for how to guide my daughter in a faith I just discovered, and would recommend this book to anyone looking for a little guidance as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment