Monday, January 30, 2012

Remembrance Review



Goodreads summary: Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.
Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's high school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she get him out of her mind?
Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, fighting fate isn't going to be easy


In all honesty: I wasn't going to read this, much less buy it. I saw the cover a while back, and glanced at the summary. "Oh," I thought. "Taylor swift. Cool." And I went on with my day. But while I was on amazon buying new books ANYWAY a few weeks later, I looked at it and thought "Why not?"

I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I was super pleased.

 The third grade summary report would read: "A girl meets a new mysterious guy at school and falls in love."
 Face it, I wasn't good at summarizing in third grade. Because that describes a lot of books. Among them: The much debated 'Twilight'.

 This brings me to point one of what I like about this book.

 Point One: Madow writes about a real teenage girl; not a real "literary" teenage girl, who shrinks when the boy of her dreams (or memory) tries to ignore her. When *Spoiler alert from now to a while down* Drew starts his hot and cold act, Liz calls him on it and tells him to cut it out. I loved this, seeing as most books I read have the girl feeling insecure and moping about it.

Point Two: Liz's loyalty to Chelsea is admirable. We've all heard of the girl code, but how often do you read it? She's head over heels in love with this guy, but her best friend wants to go out with him so Liz backs off.

 Point Three: I admire the way she snuck the ideas of previous lives well before it became obvious. I found myself understanding Drew's broodiness as frustration without having to be told "Hey, he knows something." It's almost masterful how Michelle snuck that in there.


Few more things: I have a favorite line. It's not a gushy love line, though I had my share of favorites in that category. It's a line that I've thought many times myself.

"It [soccer] would be much more interesting if every so often, the ball spontaneously exploded.
"Madow, Michelle (2011-07-25). Remembrance (p. 83). Dreamscape Publishing. Kindle Edition." 


Also, a debate topic. Because every book needs a good debate.
 Discuss: Considering the past lives of Drew, Liz, and Chelsea; Who is Drew really meant to be with? Point: Drew and Liz love each other, and don't love their respective partners. Opposing point: Drew and Chelsea probably got together in the old life, considering Elizabeth's fate.

And....GO.

1 comment:

  1. Finally someone who appreciates the soccer line!!! ;)

    Thank you for the great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Remembrance :)

    ReplyDelete