Saturday, February 9, 2013

Book Review: Eve and Adam by Michael Grant


Eve and Adam
And girl created boy…
In the beginning, there was an apple—
And then there was a car crash, a horrible injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker’s head clears a strange boy named Solo is rushing her to her mother’s research facility. There, under the best care available, Eve is left alone to heal.
Just when Eve thinks she will die—not from her injuries, but from boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.
Using an amazingly detailed simulation, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?     Michael  Grant



I was born in a manger and grew up in a log cabin where I read law books by firelight. . . Oh, wait, that wasn't me, that was someones else.
I had a hard childhood. Hard for my parents. Not that bad for me. I was an Army brat, moved around a lot. Then I didn't settle down. I just kept moving. Why? What inner turmoil drove me? Mmmm, I gotta say none. I just have a short attention span. Easily bored.
I'm living in Tiburon, CA right now. How much longer? Don't know.
I've written 150 books. That's right, I said 150. In your face, Stephen King. Granted, mine are shorter than his. And less popular. And less likely to be made into a major motion picture. And I guess i don't play in a band with Dave Barry, either, do I?

Sorry: Salieri complex acting up.

Most of those books -- and by "most" I mean 149 out of 150 -- I wrote with my wife, the lovely, the talented, the eternally hot, Katherine (K.A.) Applegate. We've been together for 29 years. Which is a long time. Looooong time. Sweet lord what a long . . . No babe, I'm not implying anything.

Damn internets: you never know who's reading things.


My Review:
Pros: Speed of reading on this was high--I was interested enough in this book to finish it in a day. The premise is beautiful--a big corporation doing really good things to hide some other, not so good things tries to hide everything from the daughter of the boss. Meanwhile, the daughter of the boss is making an actual human boy on what she believes is no more than an educational video game.
Cons: In retrospect, the title is a bit misleading. I mean, why not name it Eve and Solo? Adam really only came in the end, almost as an afterthought. Now, as an author, I can completely understand if Grant and his wife decided "What if Adam became a real person!?" at the last minute. I don't understand why the title of the book is after a last minute decision.
Characters: Characters are fairly well rounded. We have Evening Striker, the girl who accidentally created a man. Adam, the man who was accidentally created by a girl. Solo, who's well-roundedness I won't really say because of super intriguing plot twists, and Terra "terror" striker, the mom behind it all. Oh, and Aislenn, the somewhat goofy sidekick that usually needs saving. Still, she was an interesting read.
Movie Potential: I had trouble deciding this one. But the end result is: this would be better as a series or carttoon. There's just no way to describe the intricities that are in the book without animating it and following it up with more episodes about the Striker Pharm. I just can't see it as a blockbuster movie.
Format: Real, physical book. Beautiful.
Overall Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment