Monday, August 27, 2012

Author Interview with Nicole Persun

 A Kingdom’s Possession blends ancient magic, love and intrigue in a romantic fantasy told in a fresh new voice.

A wayward prince, his twin brother, a mystical woman of fire, and an escaped slave band together, to free an outcast goddess – if they can elude a powerful rogue kingdom intent on their destruction.

Max, a young woman who has just escaped a life of slavery, finds herself at the heart of a heated rebellion and a complicated legend. As the kingdom of Alice seeks power among the realms, a flawed goddess is thrown from the heavens and forced to reside inside Max’s body. The king of Alice, lusting for the rewards the goddess will grant upon the kingdom that releases her from her human cage, sends spies to capture Max and release the goddess in the most ruthless way: through death. Will Max and her friends solve the magical riddle before her pursuers? And what of her budding love for the prince? A captivating tale of love, freedom, and choices.



 Nicole J. Persun is a Fantasy writer who lives in Port Townsend, Washington. She started seriously writing when she was thirteen, and hasn’t stopped since. “I write to explore, to transport myself somewhere new, and uncover the complex minds of my characters.”







Goodreads page for this book.


On your nightstand now:
Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke and A Place Called Armageddon by C.C. Humphreys
Favorite book when you were a child:
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
Your top five authors:
Such a hard question! It changes often, but at the moment, I’d say:
1. Lily Tuck – Her novel, I Married You For Happiness was the best book I’ve read all year
2. Terry Persun – Not because he’s my father, but because his fantasy novel (which comes out later this year) made me cry and laugh out loud
3. C.C. Humphreys – His character development in Vlad: The Last Confession was phenomenal
4. Sharon Shinn – I have a weakness for her Twelve Houses series. Good stories paired with solid writing make her romantic fantasy novels a treat.
5. George R.R. Martin – His world building is amazing yet he doesn’t bog the reader down with detail. A little dense at times, but I’m definitely hooked on his A Song of Ice and Fire series.
Of course, if you get me talking about the big guys, I’d mention people like Tolkien, Hemingway, Vonnegut, Shakespeare, Steinbeck… Again, it’s a hard question!
Book you've faked reading:
Why would I want to fake reading a book? If it’s worth reading, I’ll read it. If not, then it’s not even worth faking.
Book you're an evangelist for:
 I Married You For Happiness, by Lily Tuck and The Writer’s Portable Mentor by Priscilla Long
Book you've bought for the cover: 
 The Memorist by M.J. Rose. It was the pretty blue and metallic peacock that attracted me. As far as covers go, it doesn’t really portray what the book is about, but it did the trick as far as getting me to pick it up! The story was good, too. The way she interwove the different past lives was amazing.
Book that changed your life:
Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. It inspired me to dream big when I was writing my (now unpublished) third novel, and let me just say, my third novel remains a great love of mine.
Favorite line from a book:
On page 269 of A Game of Thrones when Martin writes something like, “his private face and his public mask were one.” In context, it’s an amazing description that is spot on and puts the reader right in the scene.
Book you most want to read again for the first time:
I Married You For Happiness, by Lily Tuck. Did I mention that it’s the best book I’ve read all year? And if not that one, I’d like to read one of my novels for the first time, just out of curiosity. I wonder what I’d think?
Why any human should plunk down cash money for your book: 
 I think the number one reason anyone should pick up a novel is for its prowess in plot, writing, and character development. The best books are a solid combination of the three. I’d like to think mine is one of them.



What made you decide to write this book in the first place?
There was no avoiding it. I had no choice but to write it, because the characters wouldn’t leave me alone.
What is your writing style? 
  I work best in the morning, when it’s quiet and my mind is fresh. I sit at my desk, which is in a loft, so it’s high up and there’s a huge set of windows to look out. Beside me is an old Royal Typewriter, and typically a vase of fresh flowers. I also have a corkboard nearby for each of my novels, where I tack up 3x5 cards with ideas, notes, and other thoughts that keep me organized throughout the process.
Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
I’m in college full time, but I still write every day, no matter what, for at least two hours. My father always said, “You are not a writer unless you write.” It’s as simple as that.
What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
As a reader myself, I always hope to learn something from a novel. It doesn’t have to be profound or factual, just something that changes me. I wish that on my readers as well. That they feel as though they learned something about themselves throughout the journey, and as though the book was worth reading.


In the point of view of any of your characters, Answer these three questions:
Avaline, from my novel A Kingdom’s Possession:
What is your darkest secret? 
 How I came into existence is my darkest secret. My story is a long one, where I begin as a phoenix, and end as a woman.
What is your heart’s desire?
To be in my natural form again. To feel at home in my own skin.
A dragon has just appeared in front of you, ready to attack. What do you do? Fight fire with fire.
Where can people learn more about you and your work?
  I am a mentor, and have been alive for hundreds of years. My knowledge of this land and its history is extensive, but I’ve kept to myself fairly well. The wizard Storret Airet could tell you a lot about me. The rest who’d know are long gone. There is information in the Vault beneath the Castle in Valta that holds some of my secrets, but the best way to learn about me and my work is to ask me yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment