Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Book Review: Shaman, Friend, Enemy

Patients with fractured souls, clients threatened by deadly ancestor spirits, and now the paparazzi–it’s all in a day’s work for techno-shaman Olivia Lawson. Livvy has rocketed to the top of the shaman world, bringing old friends with her but also attracting new enemies.

Even as her career soars, her personal life spirals downward. Broken bonds and lost love finally force her to confront the terrible secret of her beginning in shamanism. Despite being attacked by dark shamans and navigating a spiritual plane that seems out of control, Livvy’s single-minded quest steers her into dangerous territory and puts her on a collision course with those dearest to her.

No longer interested in walking a fine line, Livvy discovers that–when the one thing you need is the one thing you can’t have–you’ll risk everything.


 









My Review:

Pros:   This was an excellent sequel to it's partner novel, which I reviewed three days ago. Reading this, I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed in my choice to review these two books at all.



Cons: It felt short. Normally I love short books because they're easy to get through and I have more time to read more books. But I felt like there was a whole other chapter missing--perhaps the next book in this series. I got so involved with the characters and the story that I was shocked to find myself at the end of the last chapter.



Characters: There were some definite advances made with most of the characters. A couple previous characters, though, seemed faded out by comparison. I felt like I know so much about Livvy and her best friend Min, even about her mother and SK. That is brilliant. But I want to know more about the other shamans from the first book. They didn't get as big a spotlight this time around, almost seeming as if they were pulled in last minute.



Movie Potential: I stand by my decision that this would rock as a movie. After reading this second novel, and noting its length, I would put the two books into one movie. Not sure how the transistion would go, but it could work.



Writing style:  still consistent, still enjoyable



Format:  Still kindle, with no problems.



Overall Rating:  4/5

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kristina! Me again, dropping in to thank you for another kind review. Still enjoying your review format and how you cut to the chase! I think I'm going to have start imagining some lead actors for the movie. Thanks again! Terry

    ReplyDelete