Wednesday, April 4, 2012

flash fiction: love letter

Definition of flash fiction: A piece of fiction that is written quickly, in one sitting, with minimal edits.


 Flash Fiction is my best friend.

 And Yes, I realize there are a lot of song lyrics.

My love:
You lift me up and touch the sky. There, among the stars, even the ever-changing moon cannot touch my heart the way you do. The brilliance in your eyes outshines the glimmering fire of celestial dancers.


When there's a tear, you wipe my eye. You are my rock, my pillow, my shoulder to cry on, and my best friend. I do believe that if you were to leave, my heart would die of grief and I would be soon to follow.


You are the shadow to my light. when opening my eyes to the unforgiving sun becomes too difficult a task, you are there. You hold me close and guard me with a shadow I'm not afraid of, with a brilliance that heals instead of burns.


You take the darkness away from the night. When my demons come too close, when at my darkest hour tears begin to fall, you are there to be my beacon of light. You tell me simple words of love that brighten my mood and fill me with strength.


Sometimes, it seems the only one who doesn't see your beauty is the face in the mirror looking back at you. Don't trust that fickle, deceiving reflection. You need only to open your eyes a little more and look around, away from that perfect pane of glass. You will see those who see the truth--and with open ears you will hear for yourself how beautiful you are.


You walk around thinking you're not pretty. Your hair flutters down around your face, and you walk to the side looking at the ground. What are you looking for, sister? Look up, allow me a glimpse at your storytelling eyes. You think you're not worthy of anyone's praise, but that's not true because I know you. I've seen how supportive you are, and how your love shines through even when you yell. I know you will always be there, and that is why in my eyes you are perfect.


Hold on, baby, you're losing it. Stay with me, please. I know you feel alone, but I'm here now. Even if it doesn't seem like it, I was always here. I will wait right where you can see me with open arms. I promise you will always be safe and wanted.


The water's high, you're jumping into it and letting go...promise me that if you dive into the cold, unforgiving sea that you will take me with you. So different from the calming rivers in front of us, even in death we will be there for each other.


And no one knows that you cry, and even if you don't, I know the pain you feel. When you ache like that, my heart yearns to comfort you. Please, just let me hold you and know everything is okay.


You don't tell anyone that you might not be the golden one. It doesn't matter if you're not really perfect. You're amazing, even with your flaws. So smile, take all of life's up and downs. Because I will always be there to help heal any wounds.


And you're tied together with a smile, but you're coming undone. Don't pretend to be someone you aren't for my sake. I love you just the way you are, and I will stand by you every step of the way.


I guess love was all you ever wanted, because you're giving it away like it's extra change. Hoping it will end up in their pockets, but they leave you out like a penny in the rain. But don't worry, because your love is never wasted. Those near you would miss your caring hugs and concerned eyes. And we love you too.


Those who don't only act that way because it's not their price to pay. But we who know you would die if you ever left, becuae sometimes your love is the only thing keeping our heads above water.


When I lost it all, you got it back. When I had no control over what was happening or who I was, you reminded me of who my friends were and helped keep my feet on the ground.


you believed in me when I gave up on myself again. You refused to let me fall to pieces and dove in to save me, even when I refused to bring you down with me for even a second. You carried me on wings of serenity until I found the strength to fly on my own.


Sudden rains reveal your face. And I remember to dance and celebrate with the flowers, instead of hiding inside by myself. I know no matter where I go I'll always have your hand to hold. There are times when we'll sink, but we'll swim again. And while I still cry, I know soon I will laugh so much my lungs start hurting. Because I will always be able to be with you, even when I have to choke out the words, "No, we're just friends." to curious strangers.


I was a tender reed bent in the wind. But then the storm passed, and you helped me stand upright again. Even when the shattering of my life isn't your fault, you will always be around to help pick up the pieces and glue them back together.


So here we are, nothing to lose. Let's jump right in and face everything head-on. Because while we may not be friends forever, you are the greatest friend I will ever have.


...No pressure or anything. That's just how much I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment