Thursday, April 19, 2012

Book Review: Pawn of Mine

 The world never ended in fire and ice. The people were consumed by it and now control the elements. The Fires have harnessed the power down to an art while the Waters cower in fear of their abilities, remaining weak and hopeless. Seventeen-year-old Sage Sinclair hopes to dispel the weakness of her Water people because she knows that if she doesn’t do anything, no one will. When she discovers something special about herself, she seeks the Humble Narcissist Ruler Agni in the great fire city, Saint Firefly. Once she gains his seal of approval, she’s admitted into Erra Academy where she secretly sparks a revolution among her ennui peers—a revolution to fight back against the Fires. She has every hope in her movement, just as long as her feelings for a handsome and frivolous Saffron Larkspur don’t get in the way—that, and Agni’s sudden fascination with her.




 I'm 20 years old, from Portland, Oregon, and have a passion for writing. There isn't much else to say about me since I'm a new author! Aside from writing, I'm a college Sophomore, I've lived in South Korea, I love traveling, love Glee, Friends, and Modern Family, and I love being outside! Can you keep up with all the books I'll be publishing? Hope so!








My Review:

Pros:   Tabitha mixes passion with romance with action perfectly, with bonus points for most of Sage's impulsive plans not actually working; just like a teenager's impulsive plans usually don't.



Cons: There were a lot of boy problems. It turned from a line to a love triangle to a love square, at one point, complete with competing girls for each boy included. 



Characters: I really like the fact that this is a book about teenagers who constantly bend the laws and live at school, and they're all very involved with their parents at home. In most books like this, the parents would be forgotten. But here, we always know where the parents are and the parents know exactly what their children are doing, whether they approve of it or not.



Movie Potential:  I went back and forth on this for a while. There is plenty of action, it moves quickly enough and the elements of romance would attract both boys and girls. But, that is what was said of The Last Airbender, and lots of people didn't like it. It actually went through my mind at one point, though, that it could be made into an animated movie. I quickly discarded it, though. All in all, I think it would be a brilliant movie, but I'm not sure how popular it would be by itself. I'll have to read the sequel to make my final decision.



Writing style:  Good. Not groundbreaking or new or amazing, but believable and interesting. It'll keep you turning pages until dark. I particularly like how it ended, set up perfectly for a sequel but more importantly; set up exactly so the reader wants to read the sequel.



Format:   Kindle, a few basic grammar problems. Nothing major, but noticeable.



Overall Rating:   4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment