Sunday, March 4, 2012

Book Review: A Brief Conversation With My Hair

By Russell Bradury-Carlin

A collection of forty short literary humor pieces that have been featured on McSweeney's, Opium, and other websites. Titles include "The Calls of Cthulu", "Diary of a Grocery Cart", and "Dionysus: Party Clown". If you ever wondered if Allen Ginsburg could have put his talent to writing pay-per-click ads or how Calvin and Hobbes may have responded to reading Hemingway, you will find the answers.





I just want to say I loved this book. There were plenty of humor pieces about parenting that had me look at my little nephew with tears of laughter from behind my Kindle. My absolute favorites had to be "So now you're a therapist," "Gummy Bear Survival Guide," and "Introducing: Baby Talk."


Of course, the title's namesake, "A Brief Conversation with my Hair," was chuckle-worthy. Particularly so because the hair on the cover looks strikingly like David Tennant's head. As a self proclaimed Whovian, this is a major plus for any book.


Anthologies in general are usually favorites of mine. They require very little bursts of attention at a time, and if one story bombs, there's usually another that will quickly become your favorite. 


Give this read a try--you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment